Sunday, October 21, 2007

One special lady...



My mother's mother, Nanny, has always been a very special person in my life. My Dad's mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease when I was very young so I was not able to have the same type of relationship with her. The relationship I have with my Nanny is one that has always been quiet and behind the scenes. Some people may not realize the bond that I have with her. The amount of respect and love I have for her is more than I can ever describe. I was privileged enough to spend a week every summer with her up until a couple of years ago. She tought me how to make crafts, cook, and would spoil me rotten. She is so strong and courageous and has been able to challenge every battle thrown at her. Now, she is currently battling cancer and through her determination and prayers of others, she is actually doing quite well. I am constantly amazed at God's plan and timing for all of our lives. When I found out that her numbers were not looking very good, I knew I would feel better if I saw her. I happened to have vacation time the same week of our annual family reunion, my parents has severalflyer miles, and I had not planned anything for that time off. I was able to see my Nanny and Pappy and spend a wonderful weekend with them. Moving to Atlanta has been an amazing experience so far. Matt and I are incredibly close and happy. We have always said that even though we might be 10 or more hours from both of our parents, we won't let that distance hurt our relationship with them. His parents have already made two trips out here and we have already been back to Texas to see mine. I thank God everyday for my family and the amazing family I married in to. Matt and I love being with them and spending time together so we will take every opportunity we get to make many more wonderful memories.

1 comment:

Within Connolly's Kingdom said...

Aren't we so glad Nanny is super! Glad you got to go to ol Fairlie for the reunion - did you eat some broccoli casserole for me? :)